Thursday 29 January 2015

Introduction


  • My critical investigation was titled 'To what extent has reality TV encouraged consumerism?'. For this I used Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Made in Chelsea and The Only Way is Essex as case studies- since my questionnaire revealed these were the most popular reality TV shows. The main ways reality TV encourages consumerism which I concluded from my investigation were through the use of social media, celebrity endorsement and merchandising.
  • My linked production piece will therefore be 3 pages from a magazine of a 'deconstructed', behind the scenes insight into reality TV show, TOWIE. I feel this is a strong continuation of my critical investigation because I heavily focused on the word 'reality' and how the audience is aware that isn't the case for some of what is shown on TV. I have also chosen the print platform because this is where my strengths lie and this way I can incorporate all of Heat's codes and conventions effectively to realistically recreate their house style. 
  • On initial drafting of ideas of what my article could include I thought I could have pictures of the cast reading scripts and talking to directors (connoting reality TV is scripted) and a stylist and a wardrobe (connoting that the stars don't actually own any of the expensive, materialistic goods they are seen to be promoting on screen).  
  • The primary audience of reality TV is women aged 18-30, who are mainstreamers, and have a socioeconomic group of D- C1. I have chosen Heat as the magazine because they share the same target audience as reality TV, and because I am now very familiar with this target audience, I know how to address them and what will attract them- which will make my linked production piece successful. 
  • Furthermore, the audience primarily uses reality TV for entertainment (McQuail- Uses and Gratification) so I will attract them using humour, portraying reality TV in a light-hearted, superficial light.

No comments:

Post a Comment